The National Skills Commissioner Act 2020 requires the Commissioner (and the National Skills Commission - NSC) to provide advice on the following:
- Australia’s current, emerging and future workforce skills needs
- the development of efficient prices for VET courses
- the public and private return on government investment in VET qualifications
- the performance of Australia’s system for providing VET
- issues affecting the state of the Australian and international labour markets
- opportunities to improve access, skills development and choice for regional, rural and remote Australia in relation to VET.
The Commissioner is also required to publish an annual report about Australia’s current, emerging and future workforce skills needs.