Skilled Migration Occupation Lists
We provide advice to the Australian Government on the skilled migration occupation lists to ensure they are responsive to workforce needs, reflect genuine skills needs and help businesses continue to grow if skilled Australian workers are not available.
Australia’s skills-related migration visas are underpinned by the following lists, which combine to form the Skilled Migration Occupation List:
- Short-Term Skilled Occupation List
- Medium and Long-Term Strategic Skills List
- Regional Occupation List.
The current Skilled Migration Occupation Lists can be found on the Department of Home Affairs website.
Priority Migration Skilled Occupations List
The National Skills Commission (NSC) is also responsible for providing labour market analysis to inform the Priority Migration Skilled Occupations List (PMSOL). This list was introduced on 2 September 2020 and captures sectors that are critical to the recovery of the Australian economy from the COVID-19 pandemic.
This list allows employer-sponsored skilled workers in PMSOL occupations to enter Australia to supplement the skilled workforce needs of these sectors. Further information on the PMSOL is available on the Department of Home Affairs website.
For more information you can:
- email the NSC
- go to the Department of Home Affairs for impacts of COVID-19 on Australia’s migration system
- go to the Department of Home Affairs Working in Australia page to read about Australia’s skilled visa programs.